Production grant for foreign publishing houses (2020/2)
The Petőfi Literary Fund contributes to the foreign language publishing of Hungarian books.
Since expertise and knowledge of the cultures, publishing tendencies, and reading habits of the given linguistic area or country are essential for the success of a foreign publication, our institution is looking forward to cooperating with publishing houses which have the background knowledge and experience required for this task.
We are calling for applications in two subcategories:
- projects involving the publication of Hungarian illustrated books (children’s books, art books, cookbooks, etc.);
- projects involving the publication of Hungarian literary and non-fiction works (novels, short stories, poetry, drama, essays etc.).
We take part in financing the production costs (up to 50 per cent of the overall production costs; the percentage may differ in special cases). These costs will be paid in advance by the partner, and our institution will transfer the sum to the partner after publication as soon as the partner has certified that the production costs have been paid and sends 10 copies of the book to us, as specified in the cooperation agreement.
As part of the cooperation project, it is the partner’s task to have the work translated, edited, printed, and distributed. The partner covers the costs of the aforementioned steps and provides in advance the sum that our institution contributes to defray the costs of production.
A foreign-based publishing house may apply with a project by submitting the following:
- an application form;
- a short introduction of the work in question, the author, the translator, and the publishing house (a recent catalogue);
- a detailed budget plan of production costs;
- a copy of the contract with the copyright’s owner;
Publishing projects already in progress will also be considered if the translated book is to be published after the submission deadline.
A board of invited experts reviews all applications with the following considerations in mind:
- literary/artistic/professional merit of the proposed work;
- feasibility of a successful publication (experience of the publisher, quality of the translation, prospective distribution);
- whether there is any specific occasion related to the work (anniversary, related cultural events, etc.).
The decision concerning cooperation will be announced 8 weeks after the submission deadline.
Our institution offers a cooperation agreement.
The book is to be published within two years of the signing of the agreement.
- deadline: 15 October 2020
- address: email@example.com (the object of the e-mail has to be the title of the call with the precision of the subcategory)
More information: Mária Hajba: firstname.lastname@example.org